Top of Form
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) Medjool dates, pitted and chopped (lightly packed)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml)organic cane sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 ml) spelt or oat flour
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) semi salted butter, softened
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a 20-cm (8-inch) square baking dish with a strip of parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides. Butter the other two sides.
- In a saucepan, bring the dates, water, lemon juice, and sugar to a boil. Add the baking soda and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the dates have fallen apart. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add the butter and stir to combine.
- Spread half the crisp in the pan and press firmly. Layer with the date mixture. Cover with the remaining crisp and press lightly. Bake for about 55 minutes or until the crisp is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for about 4 hours or overnight. Unmould and cut into 9 to 16 squares.Bottom of Form