For the crust:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil at room temp ( consistency of soft butter)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut flour, or oat flour, or barley (95 g)
For the lemon topping:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup. (The recipe called for honey, but I found the honey taste to much. But try with either and see what you think.)
- 2 tsps lemon zest. (about one large lemon) after squeezing lemon juice from lemons and put skin in my blender
- 2 tsps flour
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- preheat oven to 350 and generously rub 8×8 pan with coconut oil
- In a large bowl. blend honey, coconut oil and pinch of salt until creamy and well combined. Stir in the flour until forms dough
- press the dough evenly into the pan and bake until lightly golden brown about 8 minutes. Let cool for about 30 minutes. Or when I am in a hurry I stick it in the freezer to speed it up.
- lower temp on stove to 325 and lower the oven rick to bottom position.
- one the crust has cooled. gently wish together the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the flour into the lemon juice 1 tsp at a time until well mixed. Make sure you continually whisk as you add the flour so it doesn’t clump.
- Pour the lemon juice in the egg mixture, whisking while pouring.
- Pour the onto the cooled crust and bake until it is just set, and the center is just slightly jiggly about 21-25 minutes. Let cool at room temp. then cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, best over night.
- Cut the bars and DEVOUR.!!
These are the best lemon squares I have ever had. It is now our families fav for sure.!!!!