These are the best brownies I have ever had. I have given this recipe to dozens of people. You will not believe or the people you serve these to, that they are healthy.
- 1/4 cup packed avocado flesh
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup plain, vanilla or chocolate soy or almond milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant coffee, or herbal coffee (optional)
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, or as long as dark organic
- 3/4 light spelt flour
- 1/cup barley or just spelt
- 3/4 dark cocoa powder preferably organic
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 Line an 8″ square pan with parchment paper or spray with grapeseed oil.
In a med bowl combine the avocado and sugar, blend together. Add the maple syrup, oil flax seed, soymilk, vanilla and coffee substitute and whisk together to dissolve the sugar and coffee substitute. Add the chocolate chips and stir gently just until they’re coated in the wet mixture.
In a large bowl mix together the flour, coca, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture stir until combined. Batter will be thick.
Turn the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Smooth over the top.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20- 25 minutes. rotating pan about halfway through. Makes 9 – 12 squares. May be frozen.